moscow apartments

us passport

Visa to India

Visa to Brazil

Visa to China

Travel Documents


A person who acquired citizenship of the United States through birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) or who acquired U.S. citizenship by derivative naturalization, may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship under the provisions of Section 341 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Application for this document may be made in the United States to the nearest office of the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Upon approval, a Certificate of Citizenship will be issued in the name of the subject, but only if that person is in the United States. Obtaining this certificate involves presentation of basically the same documentation required to obtain a Consular Report of Birth. Under law, the Consular Report of Birth and the Certificate of Citizenship are equally acceptable as proof of citizenship.

What do I do if I have lost my Certificate of Naturalization? What do I use as proof of citizenship if I do not have my certificate?

You may get a new Certificate of Naturalization by submitting an "Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document" (Form N-565) to INS. You may download a Form N-565 by clicking here or by calling the INS Forms Line (1 800-870-3676).

After you have contacted the INS you will need to obtain

  • Obtain a receipt from INS showing that you've applied for a new copy of the papers.

  • Obtain a "Letter of Verification" of citizenship from INS showing your citizenship.

  • Prepare a signed letter explaining why you cannot present your naturalization papers.

Submit the INS receipt, Letter of Verification and letter explaining your missing naturalization papers when having your application authorized by a Passport Acceptance Facility (as explained in our instructions).

The Passport Agency will issue a 1-year limited validity passport. Your passport can be extended to its full 10-year term once the new Naturalization papers can be presented to the passport agency.