If you do not know a word in Russian, don’t have much time to experiment with, or like a certain level of comfort, a prearranged transfer is your best choice. An English-speaking driver can be arranged to meet you at the airport and safely deliver to your destination. You can even hire a guide to accompany you on the way. If you're arriving to Moscow, be sure you have enough time as traffic jams are an everyday entertainment on Russian capital's streets.
We would like to discourage any foreigner who is unfamiliar with driving in Russia from renting a car. Not only the rules and local driving laws are very country-specific, but you would have to deal with some very "Russian issues", like bargaining with the traffic police and competing with local aggressive drivers.
If you need a transfer on arrival to your Russian destination, a prearranged transfer is the safest option. You do not want to play the Russian roulette with guessing whether you can find your Russian-speaking driver, requested through an online or phone app or through a local taxi company.
• Immediate family members of Russian citizens
• Travelers for medical emergency
• Diplomatic workers and members of their families
• Transit passengers
• International ship, cargo, train, sea crew members performing their work duties
• Holders of special visas, issued to visit funeral of a person, permanently residing in Russia
• Russian citizens and permanent residents
• Russian work and student visa holders
Updated: September 13, 2020